Tuesday, May 13, 2008

It's Time To Start

"We encourage Church members worldwide to prepare for adversity in life by having a basic supply of food and water and some money in savings.
"We ask that you be wise as you store food and water and build your savings. Do not go to extremes; it is not prudent, for example, to go into debt to establish your food storage all at once. With careful planning, you can, over time, establish a home storage supply and a financial reserve."—The First Presidency

This has been on my mind a lot lately. After many years of hearing that we need to have a food storage and a financial reserve, Jason and I are finally getting started. We have been putting it off long enough. This last weekend I took the opportunity to go to the cannery with our ward. It was my first experience ever, so I didn't know what to expect. It felt so good to be there. We are so blessed to have this at our fingertips. (quote and pictures from www.providentliving.org)

We are definitely starting out slowly. I came away with one box, while everyone else had ten or so. This one box has six cans of: white rice, quick oats, carrots, white flour, potato flakes, and dried apples. The amazing thing about canning now is that the food stays good longer. For example, white rice is good for 30+ years.
Now that we know how easy it is, we are going to go back again and again.
Hope you all are doing the same, but I'm sure you all are doing a lot better than we have been.



7 comments:

Debie Spurgeon said...

This is fantastic Catherine. That's all you can do, start out slowly. I love the fact that the canned food keeps for so long and there is no longer that deperate need to rotate so frequently. I mean 30 years, that's a long time. I love to go to the cannery, I think it's a fun social occasion. I'm going to sign up next time, but only if they let me work the can sealer: it's my favorite job :)

Jan said...

Me so proud of you guys. Love it so much. I love Lauren sitting on the box of security.

Slowly is better than nothing right. It is a slow process. And the cannery is a blast to me. Glad you enjoyed it.

Sharr said...

okay seriously! i need to get back on it... i was doing really well about a year and a half ago, and then nikki was diagnosed with a kidney disease that limited our salt intake drastically and we ended up giving away all of the food storage i had worked so hard to acquire... and i haven't been able to get back into it since... doh! i've got to figure it out.

i have a food storage for $5 a week plan (roughly) maybe i'll revamp it for an unsalted diet lol...

i'm proud of you for getting going :o) it's such a great thing to have, you feel much more prepared for whatever may come your way :o)

Lauren said...

We've been getting food together too. What with all the earthquakes and cyclones and people dying. It's really really scarey! So Dustin, who used to think food storage was stupid, made me order $100 of noodles and rice and other stuff. I have to say I'm so glad he's come around. I don't want to starve to death if something does happen here. Good luck to you guys and your food storage!

Cody and Jen said...

Yea!!! I think that is great. We are also slowly but surely getting our food storage together. It is really hard though. But you gotta start somewhere. I love the lawn mower pictures. I remember you telling me about your good ol' Lawn mowin days. That is tough work.

Julie said...

Thurn you rock! Jeff and I were talking about our food storage. We will actually have a place to put it now. We only have a few things but I want to tell you about a company called Moo Cow or something, I'll get back to you on the correct name. They have delicious food storage! If I'm going to need to use it man it better taste good right! In the past I've just bought things and then when I tried them was SERIOUSLY disappointed! I have a food storage cookbook with recipes and such, I'd be glad to pass it your way.

Fullmer Family said...

That's funny, Troy and I had this exact conversation last night! But
I'm like you Thurn, I have never been to the cannery, but I've always wanted to. I need to get on it too. Thanks for starting the fear in me - you rock!! :) Pass that stuff to me to Chambs!